Friday, May 27, 2011

I Switched My AT&T Home Phone to Verizon Wireless Home Connector

I finally switched my home phone to a wireless phone service. My current home phone number had existed for over 10 years, first with SBC and then with AT&T as a landline residential phone number.

A few years ago I switched to AT&T Uverse for tv, phone, and internet. So I kept my same phone number, and I stayed with AT&T, but it wasn't the old-fashioned "land line" anymore. It was now AT&T Digital phone. I have been happy with my high speed internet and cable tv services provided by uVerse. However, the phone plans weren't that great. The only way it made economic sense to keep my phone service was if I needed and subscribed to their unlimited calling plan. I didn't. That's what cell phones are for. So I was mindlessly paying too much money per month for a very limited calling plan.

I could have just turned off my home phone service, but I didn't. I wanted to keep my 10 year old phone number, and I wanted to keep a separate phone number for the house ( not a private individual cell phone number). Since I already have a Verizon Wireless Family Plan, I just thought I would add another line to it. Adding a line is only an extra $9.99 per month plus a few bucks in taxes/fees. I could just port my existing phone number and use a new cell phone as the house phone.

While looking at new cell phones that I could use for my add-a-line, I became discouraged. For one thing, almost all the attractive cell phones now require a data plan. I don't want a data plan for my home phone. That left what Verizon refers to as "feature" phones, which mostly resemble phones made for kids and seniors.

Finally, I came across the Home Phone Connector device. The Verizon Wireless Home Phone Connector allows you to use your existing home phone equipment ( I already had a pretty nice cordless phone). There is no need to get a cell phone. You just order the home phone connector equipment instead. Financially, it works like a wireless phone. I signed a 2 year contract and got the home phone connector for free. They offer a $19.99 unlimited plan, but I just got the $9.99 family plan add-on and will share the minutes with all my family plan lines.

So far things are working really well. I was worried AT&T would take a long time porting my number over, but my old number was working the next day. I would definitely recommend the Verizon home phone connector option as a good replacement for a landline, especially if you have a family plan and good reception in your house.

No comments:

Post a Comment